What You’ll Learn
Prepare for success. Our 40-hour program goes well beyond the basics. We provide a comprehensive overview of the many related issues that will impact your career:
- Landmark cases that led to the development of the medical and healthcare interpreting profession.
- Facts about the Limited English Proficiency (LEP) population.
- Barriers and challenges LEP patients face when seeking and receiving healthcare services in the U.S.
- Key U.S. legislation regarding language access services.
- How the U.S. healthcare system is different from the way healthcare is provided in other countries.
- Understanding your role as a medical or healthcare interpreter.
- The modes of interpreting and how to use them.
- Managing the interpreting session: before, during and after.
- Exercises to improve your memory skills.
- Where to position yourself in the room for the greatest benefit of the patient and doctor.
- How to handle uncomfortable situations in a professional manner.
- Professional standards of practice, code of ethics.
- How to prepare for national interpreter certification testing.
- Medical terminology and additional resources.
- Practical tips and techniques from practicing interpreters.
You’ll receive a certificate of completion. Online students have access to the 282pg eBook in addition to receiving the printable Core Terminology eBook.
Onsite students receive the 282pg soft cover textbook and Core Terminology book.