What You'll Learn
- Medical terminology and additional resources.
- Professional standards of practice, code of ethics.
- Practical tips and techniques from practicing interpreters.
- Exercises to improve your memory skills.
- How to prepare for national interpreter certification testing.
We help you learn your role as a medical or healthcare interpreter.
- The modes of interpreting and how to use them.
- Managing the interpreting session: before, during and after.
- Where to position yourself in the room for the greatest benefit of the patient and doctor.
- How to handle uncomfortable situations in a professional manner.
While the emphasis of our program is on interpreting skills, you will also learn about:
- Landmark cases that led to the development of the medical and healthcare interpreting profession.
- Facts about the Limited English Proficiency (LEP) population.
- Barriers and challenges LEP patients face when seeking and receiving healthcare services in the U.S.
- Key U.S. legislation regarding language access services.
- How the U.S. healthcare system is different from the way healthcare is provided in other countries.